When to start learning to read
Not always the child can and easily, rather often on it some months leave, and all family members are involved in process of training. If parents aimed to impart to the child skills of foreign reading and they have some basic knowledge of language, they are quite capable . Reading - very important component of knowledge of a foreign language. Ability to read in English, undoubtedly, is useful to your child:
- for effective mastering various information and expansion of an outlook;
- will favor to active immersion in language space, to mastering skills of informal conversation, the letter and audition;
- will expand a lexicon, and also the sphere of their use, will promote fixing of the passable words.
It is known that acquired skills of reading in English remain for several years - even in the absence of practice.
Training in reading in English needs to pay separate attention, and not just time which remained from informal conversation exercises. Thus it is necessary to consider some nuances:
- After the child is already acquainted with skills of reading in general - it will be easier for it to learn to read and in English. If he is able to put letters, and also reads in the native language at least on syllables - it is possible to start foreign reading. Training will naturally proceed, and the result will be consolidated for a long time.
- Before starting learning to read, it is necessary that the child learned aurally a quantity of words in English and understood their value.
- At first it is necessary to be engaged some time in development of oral speech, especially if you still did not start development of reading in the native language at all. If the child started mastering reading in a garden or school or he should be engaged in it soon, it is possible at the same time to start studying and speaking, and to read in English.
Experts advise at first to learn as the word is said, and then to study as it is written. It will be useful for a pronunciation and for reading.
With what to begin
At first it is necessary to learn the English alphabet - we study English letters, and optional in alphabetical order. We begin with letters which occur in English words already familiar to the child. Letters and sounds can be learned by means of cards, cubes, to find them in the book, to draw on paper.
To learn the alphabet:
- We study on some letters – we remember as letters are read and written, we use them in words.
- We note that separate letters in the alphabet and in the used word can sound differently – we master sounds which they transmit. You should not demand from the child that he remembered all sounds for a short time, it is enough to learn at first the main vowels, and also concordants. In the course of training he will gradually examine different options of sounding. There can be some difficulties with letters which on writing coincide with letters of the Russian and are read in English in a different way (P, H, C and some other), and also with some combinations of concordants (sh, th). It is not necessary to hurry - the understanding of regularities can come to the child eventually.
As the pronunciation of separate letters in English in different words differs in order that the child naturally learned to say them, it is necessary to begin with simple and monosyllables, working by the principle "from the simple – to difficult". The learned letters need to be fixed in a game form – to put sounds in short words.
Further it will be required to pass smoothly to reading more compound words that the child read the whole word and completely remembered it. It is necessary to track correctness of a pronunciation. It is possible to use thus audio recordings to exercises. The child can read and say words together with you or the announcer. Regular trainings under control of parents (or the tutor), and also enough exercises are very important.
It is necessary for effective training that the child understood about what reads. Try to control understanding of word meanings, the text. Let the child tell about what he read. If him did not understand sense of the offer, let translate with you together by words.
Before starting reading, remind the child that he tried to understand sense of the read text. Over time after such exercises children start understanding at least partially sense of the passable material, and further already and nuances. Thus do not seek for acceleration of rate of reading, at first it is necessary to fulfill the correct reading and a good English pronunciation of words. Reading speed in itself is not important, and matters only together with understanding of the read.
Mirsovetov recommends to practise in reading texts of the various contents is will help the child to learn to think logically in a foreign language.
There is rather large number of various methodical grants, materials, exercises by means of which it is possible to train the child in reading in English.
You can be necessary:
- the English alphabet in pictures;
- cards for studying of English letters and words;
- magnetic alphabet, cubes;
- paper English cards (flash cards) – them can be bought or downloaded on the Internet;
- the developing coloring with letters and syllables;
- workbooks for training in reading – with the fascinating tasks developing thinking and memory;
- children's books in English – it is desirable, with a set of pictures, printed with a large print, with texts, simple for understanding.
Besides, there is a set of computer and board games for studying of the English alphabet and training in reading, video lessons, the whole series of the developing animated films for studying of language, and also training in reading in a fascinating form. Many children with great pleasure watch adventures of amusing characters, in a game form remember letters, writing of English words, learn to spell together with animated heroes, and by words entirely. This rather powerful help for eternally busy parents. It is possible to hang out cards with the English words written by large letters on the apartment, and periodically to change subject.
Songs, rhymes, riddles in English will surely be useful in studying of language. They not only will help with of the child and expansion of its lexicon, but also will promote in understanding of grammatical designs. Until the child learned to read in English yet, you can do it for him, choosing simple and entertaining texts.
How to interest the child in training
The driving force of any training is an interest. Try to impart from early age to the child love to knowledge. From the adult it is required to push unostentatiously and imperceptibly the child in the necessary direction. You should not demand much in the first some months. The child needs to allow to accustom with the direction, new to it. Communicative game approach is very effective. Training in reading happens in the form of fascinating game, by means of supervision and associations. Positive emotions and absence of reproaches for mistakes are very important. If it did not turn out - anything terrible, we will understand together, we will correct an error and we will move further.
To teach the child to read in English, try:
- unostentatiously to focus it in training, and also in every possible way to support;
- not to focus attention on mistakes, not to straighten out, and to direct and help to understand;
- not to force to study, and to be arranged in the right frame of mind the child;
- it even for small achievements;
- to motivate the child with way of involvement in game process of training – so any rules and regularities of reading by it will imperceptibly accustom;
- to organize training process under natural conditions, comfortably and interestingly.