The inflammation of a sciatic nerve is a pathological state at which one of the largest and long nervous terminations in a human body is surprised. In this state sciatic nerve which is affected by factors of various nature is surprised.
The sciatic nerve originates in sacral department of a backbone and comes to an end in foot, innervating all foot. Branches of a nerve innervate muscles of buttock area, a hip, a shin and foot.
It is accepted to call a pathological state in some circles – a sciatica, the term meaning "seat" in translation from Greek. Sometimes the specified state is called "neuralgia of a sciatic nerve" or "lumbar and sacral radiculitis". The given designations are inexact as completely do not reflect this pathological state.
The inflammation of a sciatic nerve is a consequence of diseases of a backbone, injuries of the lower extremity, attacks of infectious agents and intoxications of an organism.
The factors causing a nerve inflammation can conditionally be divided into four groups:
- physical (cold);
- mechanical (sdavleniye, infringement, injuries);
- biological (bacterial, viral infections);
- chemical (intoxication preparations, to salts of heavy metals, other connections).
As a rule, experts do not allocate an inflammation of a sciatic nerve in separate nosological unit as the state is a consequence or "mask" under which any disease hides. For the specified reason it is necessary to consider closer pathologies which can lead to an inflammation of a sciatic nerve.
- Overcooling of an organism is one of the widespread factors causing an inflammation of a sciatic nerve. Usually it is possible "to blow a back" in summertime of year when people thoughtlessly go in "topics" and the waist remains naked or houses windows wide open are open and the draft walks on rooms, or "decided to sit down in the yard on concrete, a pipe and an iron skeleton of an old bench".
- The most popular factor leading to "sciatica" is the infringement or a jamming of a sciatic nerve (terminations) by intervertebral disks. In this case the pathological state arises because of a degeneration or deformation of intervertebral disks, a stenosis of the spinal channel, a spondilolistez.
- Also leads a trunk sdavleniye to an inflammation of a sciatic nerve a tumor or hernia of intervertebral disks, abscess. Can lead a stenosis of the spinal channel, to a pathological state.
- As a result of traumatizing the lower extremity (fractures of bones, dislocations, stretchings) the inflammation of a sciatic nerve is possible.
- As a rule, infectious diseases can provoke an inflammation of a sciatic nerve in the last stage if the illness is strongly started. However, cases when the virus agent attacking nervous system affected a nerve long before the last stage of a disease are frequent. Among infectious agents there are sypny a typhus, rage, tetanus, , syphilis, etc.
- Organism intoxication mercury, arsenic, preparations from the list "A", quinine and other chemical compounds can lead to an inflammation of a sciatic nerve. Also, to pathology postnatal intoxication, gout (bring at increase of level of uric acid into blood) and .
Certainly, it is impossible to list all diseases which can lead to an inflammation of a sciatic nerve in small article. But in this case the most common causes of the chosen pathology are listed.
Pathogenesis and symptomatology at an inflammation of a sciatic nervePathogenesis.
The inflammation is characterized by five signs which are reflected in pathology symptomatology. Thus, the inflammation is expressed in hypostasis, reddening, pain, temperature increase and malfunction. In simple terms, the inflamed body swells, against the increased temperature, there is a morbidity and reddening of leather covers, malfunction is observed.
By more fixed consideration, the damaging factors start the cascade of difficult chemical processes on the inflamed site in which active part is taken by prostaglandins and mediators of an inflammation. In "role" of agents of damage there can be any factors which lead to damage of a cage, in this case – neuron.
As a result, mediators of an inflammation provoke developing of hypostasis, pain, temperature increase which develop into malfunction of the damaged body. Thus, it is necessary to pay attention to mechanisms which influence neurons and lead to damage of a cage.
- When overcooling an organism decreases that as a result causes "revolt" of saprofitny bacteria which attack a nerve.
- At a sdavleniye or a jamming (infringement) of a sciatic nerve or injuries of the lower extremity neurons from which inflammation mediators are released are damaged.
- At infectious diseases agents (viruses, bacteria) affect directly a nerve with toxins or create a background for an inflammation.
- Chemical agents also strike cages that as a result leads to an inflammation of a sciatic nerve.
In the end result, pathogenesis of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve is reduced to that the nervous terminations are surprised (directly or indirectly), being affected by various factors. From the struck cage the inflammation mediators starting the cascade of chemical processes which result are all symptomatic manifestations of pathology are released. Symptomatology.
As a rule, symptoms of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve can conditionally be divided into two groups: the general and local. However, the clinical picture is formed by local symptoms and therefore it is necessary to stop on local manifestations of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve.
- Pain arising at pathology during the sharp period can be intensive, rather strong and expressed, extending on all foot. Generally pain happens "pulsing" as if "the burning wave is rolled from top to down", or shooting.
- It is possible to carry a pricking, "goosebumps", a sleep of the lower extremity to "other" pain.
- Area of irradiation or distribution of pain rather extensive – up a trunk to edges or inclusive the lower edges, in a waist, buttock area, in bodies of a small pelvis (ovary), a vulvar lip, a hip, a shin and foot up to finger-tips.
- Pain can arise in the right or left side of a body and foot, depending on an inflammation of a sciatic nerve (right or left). Sometimes, pain can "be thrown" from the inflamed nerve on the healthy party.
- Hypostasis is also one of the main symptoms of this pathology. The foot swells on all length, but hypostasis is more expressed in a knee joint and foot. On the swelled-up foot sometimes it is difficult "to pull" a shoe or a sock.
- Violation of the movement is caused by intensive pain which limits the patient in actions. Patients cannot sit (or at most about several minutes), to stand or go that is also short. As a result, after several uncertain steps patients feel the strongest pain again.
- Violation of sensitivity is expressed that at a touch to skin in buttocks, a hip or a shin "odereveneniye" is noted.
- Spasm, the strongest reduction of muscles of the lower extremity and buttocks, especially hip and buttocks.
It is rather difficult to describe severe intensive pain which can be at an inflammation of the largest nerve of a human body. But it is necessary to notice that patients from such pain can sometimes faint, and the majority cannot even fall asleep and feel intolerable pains and in lying situation.
First aid at an inflammation of a sciatic nerve
As a rule, the sympathizing family of the patient, having become witnesses of the terrifying pain, immediately make attempts to facilitate a condition of the patient. Unfortunately, without special skills and knowledge it is impossible to help the patient, moreover, some careless actions can worsen a condition of the patient.
Nevertheless, there are some receptions which can be applied as first aid at an inflammation of a sciatic nerve.
- It is recommended to lay the patient on an equal, firm surface a stomach down, it is desirable on a warm and thick carpet, without pillow or with the small roller made of cloth which it is necessary to arrange in a breast.
- It is necessary to cover the patient an easy, warm blanket which should not be confused between feet or press on a body.
- It is not recommended strongly to put to a waist or a foot a hot-water bottle, or other warming subjects as heat can provoke still bigger hypostasis of the inflamed site.
- It is necessary to call immediately the ambulance or to contact the neuropathologist who can also leave on a call.
It is no secret that in printing editions and on the Internet there is a mass of various articles with recommendations, councils or examples on a subject – as it is necessary to give first aid at an inflammation of a sciatic nerve. However, it is necessary to know that without having vocational education and experience, it is impossible to apply neither "folk remedies", nor the anesthetizing preparations, hot-water bottles or other "pills".
The matter is that the patient can have to preparations, and any careless actions will lead to even bigger sdavleniye or a jamming of a sciatic nerve. And at decrease in sensitivity of skin use of a hot-water bottle or other warming-up subjects will lead either to , or to hypostasis.
Methods of treatment of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve
Methods of treatment of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve can be divided into two groups: radical and conservative which is also subdivided into symptomatic therapy and etiologichesky.
- The conservative method of treatment is characterized by application of medicamentous preparations which are directed on fight against an inflammation, pain, hypostasis and malfunction. Now experts use anesthetics, nonsteroid anti-inflammatory preparations, diuretics for elimination of hypostasis, miorelaksant for removal of a spasm of muscles. Preparations can locally be applied (ointments, gels, plasters), orally (tablets, capsules), parenterally (pricks).
- The radical method of treatment assumes surgical intervention, and is applied in extreme cases.
- The physical therapy is applied in the form of UVCh, massage and other methods, after the period of an aggravation which can last from 2-3 days to 1-2 months.
There are tens methods of treatment of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve, among which traditional medicine, acupuncture, manual therapy, acupuncture and other options. However, it is necessary to remember that the sciatic nerve is the largest in an organism which defeat can lead to sad consequences up to loss of an extremity. And therefore we do not recommend strongly to readers to experiment and joke Mirsovetov with health, having trusted in "sorcerers" without education.
In this case, it is reasonable to trust in experts and to resolve an issue by means of traditional medicine.
Rehabilitation after treatment of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve
The rehabilitation period after the main treatment of an inflammation of a sciatic nerve is an important stage which is carried out for prevention. Despite recommendations, it is necessary to remember that any steps taken from now on due to be discussed with the attending physician.
- After treatment, it is necessary to get used to that the moderation which has to be observed in everything will become the main rule.
- Decrease in physical activity on a foot and a backbone in general. At excess body weight weight loss under supervision of the nutritionist who will pick up the correct diet is recommended.
- It is impossible to lift heavy subjects! It is necessary to understand that it is not desirable to lift any freight, even it is powerful in some kilograms.
- It is not recommended strongly to be it is long in the same situation, especially, harmfully long to sit.
- Walks in the fresh air are very useful, but in more cold season it is necessary to put on more warmly and to avoid overcooling. It is desirable to walk in the evening, at first in the company of the loved one who can give support in an exhaustion case.
- It is necessary , to hold a backbone directly, not to stoop or stoop. However, it is necessary to remember that when straightening a backbone of a muscle of a back can ache, especially, if the person got used to stoop.
- It is important to be engaged every day in a number of the special exercises directed on backbone stretching, strengthening of muscles of a back and coxofemoral area. The physiotherapist, depending on a condition of the patient can pick up a set of exercises.
Actually any algorithm which even is thought most over will not be able to force the person to carry out these or those actions. It is necessary to realize that health of the patient is in hands of the patient and it is possible to be rehabilitated only on condition of patient daily work on itself. By no means it is impossible to be given!
In the world of one thousand people with similar pathology who cope with a problem and are soon restored to normal life. It is necessary to remember that "will overcome the road – going".