Outside September, and at us in a garden late grades of phloxes continue blossoming. These flowers are loved by many Russian gardeners. They lighten mood the color palette. The place – in a front garden, about a bench, in the depth of a garden will be them everywhere. Our phloxes friendly meet the come members of household and acquaintances as are placed along the path conducting to the house. Each bush represents a unique bouquet with gentle shleyfovy aroma. The quantity of grades constantly increases, the Russian selectors are proud of them. We will also talk about grades, landing of phloxes, the principles of cultivation, leaving.
It is a little from history
Phloxes – amazingly blossoming grassy plants from family sinyukhovy. The word "Phlox" is translated from Greek as "flame". Karl Linney in 1737 gave such name to a plant, probably, because of brightly red flowers of wild representatives of this sort. This handsome came to us because of the ocean, their homeland – North America. Exactly there in a large number wild ancestors of acquaintances to us plants on edges, damp meadows in those areas where the temperate climate and soft winters reigned grew. Adaptation to living conditions, absolutely new to them, lasted for hundreds of years. The first seeds from the nature got at first to England where very well got accustomed. And here in Russia it was necessary to them heavy – during winter only the strongest copies survived. And by the end of the 19th eyelid, more than 100 grades were offered to gardeners. The American phloxes were only white and lilac, and in Russia flowers became larger, it was succeeded to remove grades with blue, claret, crimson and violet shades. There were different innovations – ringlets and eyes in the central part of a flower, a stripe on petals. "Hour of triumph" of phloxes came at the end of the 20th century when the best types of phloxes were presented to the world.
Variety of grades
From 1000 already available grades, any gardener will be able to pick up to himself something suitable and interesting. Even the encyclopedia will not be able to call all grades. And still I will try to acquaint readers of InfoAdvisor.net with the most attractive.
- "Heavens", "Snow White" - white grades with magnificent and large inflorescences, height of plants are up to 80 cm. Blossom at the very beginning of July and can please with flowers more than a month.
- Chameleons. Earlier I could not even present that among lilac grades it is possible to meet such types which change coloring depending on lighting and time of day from blue to the blue. For example, "Forget-me-not" creates an intrigue in a garden – in the afternoon it lilac, and in the morning and in the evening – blue.
- Saturated violet and even ink colourings meet at grades "Secret", "Black Sea", but they grow slowly. And from "high-speed" I will allocate "Monomakh's Cap" and "Magic".
- Pink color – tenderness. "Youth" - powerful bushes with brightly green foliage and porcelain shades of flowers. "Ms. Olga" distinguishes fast restoration after a rain, the bush looks elegantly, well grows and plentifully blossoms.
- Smoky coloring gives to flowers mystery and romanticism and it is shown gradually, sometimes is distributed evenly on all floret, and at times only on the ends of petals or dabs. I will note grades "Prince Serebryany" "Dragon" and "Florans".
- Touching and lovely "glazastik" are the grades having a contrast peephole in the middle. White "Alyonushka" is allocated with a crimson peephole. And still there is a grade with a purple peephole on a white background, it and is called "Charming eyes".
- Fiery phloxes are presented by a bright palette. Among them, the grade of "Orange", height of a thickset bush to 70 cm differs in orange sparks, it blossoms in the middle of August. In the same time the bright grade "Ivan Dawn" blossoms, it too hardy, festive, solemn and quickly expands. But such fiery shades should be put so that they did not burn out on the sun.
- Crimson palette grades "Satin", "Tenor" represent, "the Moscow Dawns". Bright juicy spots they look in a garden among greens.
Ideas for placement
As I already spoke, the phloxes growing along paths remarkably look. They as if welcome guests and make good impression about owners. The successful decision – landing of phloxes along a path to an arbor, a summer toilet and near the house on the street. And children, playing under a window, will inhale delicate aroma. Along paths plant strong bushes that they were not scattered extensively, disturbing the movement. And for these purposes try to pick up grades with identical height. If after long rains bushes get out of a shape, give them a support in the form of pegs and accurately tie up. If the flower bed at you is broken near the house, ekhinatse, nivyanik, day lilies, hand bells, astilba will be good neighbors for phloxes. Our phloxes "are on friendly terms" with primroses, lilies and long-term . At a background will well look sunflower and high coneflowers.
We combine colors
Choice of color scales – a matter of taste. Someone likes contrast between white and red coloring, and someone will put orange and violet phloxes nearby. It is lovelier to us gentle transitions white, pink, lilac, heavenly … If you choose "glazastik" or polosatik", it is better to put them separately and to alternate to monophonic grades that did not create concern, did not cause fatigue of eyes.
Successful cultivation of phloxes
Having got acquainted with such variety of grades, I think that you already had ideas what exactly to get for the garden and where to place. Then let's discuss as it is correct to grow up phloxes that they intensively grew, magnificently and long blossomed and were not ill.
For phloxes allocate the light territory. We noticed that if phloxes grow in the shaded places, stalks last everything higher and higher, there are thinned, and their inflorescences small and pale. Plants do not love strongly humidified soil when water stands. Therefore do not throw snow that thawed over their habitats in the spring. The soil more preferable easy and loamy, enriched with a humus. If the soil at you clay, it is necessary to loosen more often, bringing thus humus, compost, peat mix. And here it is desirable to bring humus, clay part in sandy soil, and it is a little compost. Do not bring fresh manure, only lain down and rerotting. It is better to carry out landing of phloxes in the spring or in August. The same period is suitable for change and division of the expanded bushes. Movement of a plant is transferred well, only not to a heat. It will be pleasant to them and the carried-out mulchirovaniye with organic chemistry, then the soil layer will keep humidity and weeds will appear less. Procedure this will render good service if the frosty winter without snow suddenly appears suddenly.
In dry weather we plentifully water the bushes. Approximately about a water bucket under each big bush. Certainly, phloxes especially need "drink" during the active growth and magnificent blossoming.
If the soil good, and plants perfectly grow, it is possible to manage and without podkormok. We sometimes, at the beginning of vegetation introduce complex fertilizer. At it surely there has to be a nitrogen. We feed up also in September already otsvetshy bushes, but here to them potassium and phosphorus is important. If you have dung water, it will be by the way at the end of May. And in August ashes are pertinent. If bushes sickly, it speaks about the poor soil demanding fertilizer.
Obligatory reception – the rejuvenating division of a bush. The grown old individuals give few flowers, are subject to diseases and a vymerzaniye. Division should be carried out at least once in six years, in the spring or at the end of August. The bush is dug out, looks round, the middle jumps out, and here "molodnyachok" with good new backs goes for change to already prepared updated earth. Further watering and a mulchirovaniye follows. Some flower growers do not dig out all bush, they a shovel cut off lateral sprouts and transfer to other place. Such change too happens successful.
About diseases and wreckers of phloxes
If carefully to look after, watering in time and feeding up, diseases will not come to your jewelry of a garden. Some flower growers sometimes as prevention do processing by biological products. In case of a mealy raid or specks on leaflets it is necessary to spray them fungicides (antifungal means). And here if notice withering of escapes and root decayed, it is already big trouble. It is easier to warn her, than then to exterminate. Therefore support health of the soil, bringing compost, humus and siderata, that is such plants which after their cultivation close up to the soil (such peculiar organic fertilizer).
Phloxes very much spoil the nematodes which lodged on them taking root into plant fabrics. Then the plant is shortened and bent, and leaves on tops are similar to threads. Preparations for fight against harmful nematodes are unknown to me. Flower growers only offer a number of measures to warn infection:
- use only of healthy material for cultivation;
- change of a habitat far away from sick plants which are desirable for throwing out that did not infect the others;
- at improvement of a soil layer to use as siderat a winter rye.
And finally, a wish from InfoAdvisor.net: let your phloxes grow healthy and smartly blossom!