About stages of development of may-bugs, various effective methods of fight against their larvae the speech in this article will go. The way of life at different types of these large insects is very similar. They begin the active flights in the spring when on birches very young leaflets reveal.
What harm may-bugs can do?
In the evenings may-bugs who else are called by cockchafers, turn round trees, mercilessly eating around them young, juicy foliage. Such obgryzaniye of leaves proceeds about one and a half months.
And their larvae very much like to lodge on those beds where and wild strawberry is placed, and regale on nutritious backs therefore berry bushes wither and dry up. Part from the maturing larvae thanks to strongly developed maxillary device eat roots of vegetable cultures, fruit-trees (plums, apple-trees) that can lead to death of young saplings. You can find many larvae in landings of corn and potatoes. Even backs of a gazonny grass quite often draw attention of gluttonous larvae.
How bugs and their larvae look?
Adult bugs in length can be a little more than three centimeters. They oblong and oval, convex. Their coloring usually black or brownish-red. On a body there are hairs or volosovidny scales. On the head and in forward part of a back hairs strongly stick out, are more noticeable. Short moustaches desyatichlenikovy. On a breast there are hairs of yellowish color.
To postpone eggs, females are dug in in soil, taking root on depth about 25 cm. For only some stages one female can postpone about 70 eggs from which in 4-6 weeks there are large, mobile larvae of rather dirty-white coloring, they are called still by borozdnyakam. Having looked narrowly at them, you will see that these beings as if in a ball are twisted. In the first year they cannot do a lot of harm because at first eat only humus and thin backs. In the soil these larvae develop for four-five years, becoming everything is larger. The head korichnevet them or the yellow-brown gets red-brown coloring, color of jaws. Every summer there is a molt of larvae, becoming is more senior, they cause more and more harm. At the last stage of development length of larvae is from 45 to 55 millimeters. And what it is gluttons! Having sated, they pupate and temporarily become the motionless dolls by the form reminding adult individuals of bugs. Only wings at them are shorter, and the head is turned in. Then the final stage of development of these insects – transformation of dolls into the real may-bugs begins. There is it in August or to approach of fall. Young bugs winter in the soil (in "cradle"). With arrival of spring they are published.
Ways of fight against may-bugs and their larvae
To protect the garden and garden plants, bushes, trees from cockchafers and their larvae, it is necessary to resort to a complex of actions. Only then it will be possible to reduce number of these serious wreckers. Earlier gardeners on spring, deeply digging over the soil, peered, whether larvae move in it to bring together them and then to destroy. Certainly, occupation this laborious, takes away a lot of time. And, of course, it will not be possible to take all larvae from the earth all the same. If there is an opportunity, it is possible to involve hens in collecting larvae and ducks for whom such worms are delicious food. But over the years some more valuable experience of disposal of larvae of May cockchafers at summer residents nevertheless appeared. And knowledge of activity of may-bugs at biologists became more. Therefore InfoAdvisor.net will share the most effective methods of fight against these insects with readers:
- It appears, may-bugs (more precisely, their larvae) hate when in the soil concentration of nitrogen is high. Therefore experts suggest summer residents to sow with a white (or a lupine) pristvolny circles round trees. On roots of these low plants there lives the set of the klubenkovy bacteria capable to absorb nitrogen from air and to synthesize then proteins. Gradually in the soil nitrogen collects that very not on temper to larvae, they cannot normally develop in such soil, leave it. And nitrogen will do trees only good.
- On site perimeter where there are beds with the strawberry saplings which are especially loved by these insects, land turnip, the smell of this plant is not loved by larvae of may-bugs. In the spring plentifully strew the soil under bushes with the shell processed in the coffee grinder from eggs.
- In due time clear the sites of foozles. Having rooted out them, you, most likely, will find a set of uneven-age larvae of May cockchafers on this place.
- When bring organic chemistry in landing holes, watch that there larvae of may-bugs did not get.
- At the end of spring and in summer months do not neglect loosening of the earth, especially between ranks of landings . At this time females postpone eggs, there is a process of a molt of the developing larvae, an okuklivaniye of adult larvae. When you loosen the soil, the part of eggs is crushed, an environment in which there is an okuklivaniye and a molt therefore as a result of such simple actions the part of larvae and eggs will be lost are significantly violated.
- Hang out nesting boxes, attracting with that in the gardens of insectivorous birds (starlings, thrushes, rooks) which will help to exterminate populations of harmful insects. Experts counted that during nesting the family of starlings is capable to catch about 8000 harmful insects, among which most part – may-bugs and their harmful larvae.
- It is quite good if on a site hedgehogs or lizards lodge. May-bugs, and also their larvae is a basis for a diet of these animals.
- During active development of garden cultures, water the soil under them peel infusion from onions. Fill a big bucket with an onions peel on one its third, then pour in it waters to the very top. Leave for 5 days. Take a half of a bucket of infusion and as much water, stir everything and start watering of the soil.
If decided to resort to "chemistry"
Happens that on a site there are so many larvae that gardeners are compelled to resort to the help of chemical preparations for fight against insatiable larvae. Mirsovetov reminds that then it is possible to collect and use vegetable plants in food, 20-30 days later after carried out processing by preparations. And here names of the preparations created for fight against the wreckers living in the soil – "Bazudin", "Initiative", "Zemlin", "Antikhrushch", "Rembek" ("Rembek"). To destroy bugs, it is possible to process after the end of blossoming fruit-trees insecticides – "Detsis", "Arrivo", "Konfidor", "Aktara", "Sherpa".
And it is possible to resort to the help of the effective and safe biological product called by "Nemabakt". This means destroys the wreckers who are in the earth. A basis of this biological product – nasekomoparazitiruyushchy (scientifically – entomopatogenny) a nematode. This microscopic worm gets to a larva of the wrecker and kills it in 24-72 hours. The preparation is safe for people, pets, earthworms and other useful insects. That means was effective, get it at producers or in specialized shops.
We hope that the listed methods of fight will help you to cope with may-bugs and their larvae.