The compact flower with an extraordinary form of elastic leaves belongs to family asfodelovy, which homeland - red-yellow lands of semi-deserts of South Africa. The haworthia bears a name of the English expert in the field of tropical and subtropical flora of Africa, Adrian Havort.
Distinctive features of a structure of a haworthia
In the nature of a condition of growth of a flower are far from a cozy microclimate of a window sill: these are the sandy, stony and grassy slopes which are dried up by the sun, clinging for which, the haworthia hides in a shadow of big bushes and trees. The plant is able to save vivifying water, for a long time storing moisture in the thickness of the strong body.
The card of a haworthia - the rough dense leaves decorated with rough warty patterns. At one species of a plant these peculiar warts considerably convex, at others it is hardly possible to consider small hillocks on a leaf surface.
The elastic fleshy leaves having the extended peaked form are collected in the compact socket of light green or saturated green color. Separate types, for example, Reynvardt's haworthia, are content with strongly truncated stalk while others (a haworthia striped, a haworthia pearl) in general it are deprived.
In the conditions of the city apartment chance to find a plant the blossoming - minimum, but it not a reason for frustration: at a haworthia ordinary-looking white flowers which are not of special value for the flower grower.
Kinds of a succulent
Today experts total about 150 types of a haworthia. As the ornamental plant decorating window sills of city housing it is possible to see the following kinds of a haworthia:
- Haworthia striped (H. fasciata). Diameter of this plant does not exceed also 15 cm. At a flower narrow extended (to 10 cm) leaves of a saturated green shade with the fleshy basis. The inside of each leaf is covered with densely located convex strips. This kind of a haworthia will remind an unsophisticated eye an aloe bush in a miniature.
- Haworthia pearl (H. margaritifera). The succulent, as well as his other colleagues, grows, putting leaves in the hard socket. However fleshy leaves have an original form - they are decorated by involuntarily scattered light-pearl specks. At edges of each leaf it is possible to notice small thorns. At this type of a haworthia the largest and fleshy outgrowths.
- Reynvardt's (H. reinwardtii) haworthia. Over soil the flower towers on 15-20 cm. Has the truncated upright stalk. A form of leaves of this haworthia - extended triangular with the sharp tip bent inside. The top part of a leaf smooth, and lower is covered longitudinal and cross ranks of white warts.
Care of a haworthia
In the conditions of the apartment the succulent behaves is undemanding, quickly grows and well breeds. The compact sizes and the aspiration to life caused by historical conditions of growth gives the chance to a plant perfectly to feel practically in any enclosed space. The tiny haworthia always attracts to itself the interested all eyes - the form and structure of its leaves is so unusual. InfoAdvisor.net hurries to note that conditions of keeping and care of different types of a plant the identical.
- Lighting. Choose well lit place where direct sunshine do not get for a haworthia. Direct contact with the sun will sustain a plant, but in this case its appearance will suffer: leaves will cover brown spots, and their tips will dry. Suitable temperature for the maintenance of a succulent in a warm season fluctuates in the range from 15 to 25˚C, with arrival of cold weather - from 10 to 12˚C.
- Rest period. Winter - rest time for a haworthia. The flower still needs full lighting, but from system of a central heating it is better to set aside it far away in any cool, but not cold place. Leaves of a haworthia strong in appearance react to low uncomfortable temperature blackening and rotting. If the pot with a flower in a warm season costs on a balcony or a verandah, it start bringing for the night to the room at the end of summer, and with arrival of fall transfer to the house on permanent residence.
- Watering. The haworthia needs a moderate amount of water: in the spring, in the summer and in the fall it is watered by 2 times in 7-8 days, and in a cold season watering is reduced to 1 time in 14 days. Watch that the top layer of earth in which the flower grows, did not remain regularly damp - between waterings the earth has to dry up considerably. Water a haworthia very carefully, trying that water did not get to the center of the socket, otherwise the bush can decay. If at a succulent the lower part of leaves, and those leaves that are most closer located to the earth drooped, start dying off is a sure sign of excess watering. If not to change its mode, the flower will be lost.
- Humidity. It is not necessary to spray a haworthia in hot days as humidity of environment is not the defining factor for normal health of a succulent. The flower will take out the even very overdried air indoors. In the summer the haworthia can be exposed on fresh air.
- Fertilizers. Useful to growth and development by substances the flower needs top dressing since the beginning of spring and until the end of summer. Fertilize its weak solution of the means which is specially intended for decoratively growing cactuses and succulents. Frequency of top dressing makes once a month. If to overdo with fertilizer, leaves of a haworthia will be painted in yellow or red color.
Change of a succulent
When there is a need, the haworthia is replaced with arrival of spring. As a rule, do it if to a plant it becomes too close in an old pot. However it is necessary to consider that most effectively the succulent looks good and develops in the constrained conditions of small capacity.
Ideal pot for a haworthia - wide, but not too deep with good drainage system at the bottom. The thorough drainage is guarantee of viability of a succulent as stagnant water in a moment will ruin it. The sheet, clay and cespitose earth and sand (1:1:1), as a rule, is a part of the soil for a plant. Best of all the plant feels in a small round container from plastic. In pots of a square form the succulent rots more often as in capacity corners its roots are compelled to be bent at right angle.
Some experts claim that the brick crumb which will regulate humidity in a pot has to become the integral component in the soil for a haworthia. In it, really, there is a sense: this material absorbs excess liquid, increasing porosity of the earth. However after a while, when the brick crumb will be crushed and will break up to smaller components, the structure of the soil by all means will worsen. That it did not damage to a flower, a haworthia annually replace, updating pot contents.
As make multiple copies a haworthia
That the plant got posterity, it is necessary to involve its lateral escapes. The haworthia is made multiple copies "children", seeds and leaves.
The easiest way to increase quantity of interestingly growing succulent bushes - during spring change to separate from the main flower young escapes, so-called "children" who already got own root system. They are placed in a separate small pot. Besides, it is possible to cut off accurately from a maternal bush the socket without roots and, having placed it in a damp substratum, to wait, so far it to take roots.
Seeds of different types of this flower can be bought in any flower shop today, but, having chosen such way of cultivation of a haworthia, have patience - there will pass not one week before in the earth the first sprout seems. Because of labor input of process amateur flower growers practically never use seeds for cultivation of a succulent. This option does not confuse unless selectors or those who wants to fill up by all means the house collection of flowers with a rare kind of a haworthia.
For the purpose of reproduction of a plant some use the leaf separated from a maternal bush, implanting it in a damp substratum. Liszt needs to cut off carefully a fine edge or accurately to break out, having pulled fingers for the basis and directing a leaf aside. The leaf is landed not at once - for a start 2-3 days that he recovered are necessary and dried up. Then the sapling is placed to the friable fluffed-up earth with the small level of humidity or in a sandy substratum. For the first time the leaf of a haworthia is watered only 3-4 weeks later - for this period there are young backs.
Persistent and careful flower growers manage to collect on a window sill to 10 types of a haworthia - together these surprising sockets represent an unforgettable show!